Lung inflammation, also known as Pneumonitis, refers to noninfectious types of inflammation in the tiny air sacs of your lungs. This makes it harder for the oxygen to pass through them and travel into your bloodstream. This often arises because of irritants in the air that disturb your lungs.
The following can cause Pneumonitis:
- Taking medications like antibiotics, heart medicine, too much aspirin, chemotherapy drugs.
- Chronic exposure to mold or bacteria which inflame the lungs.
- Being exposed to bird feathers or their waste products.
- Radiation treatment for breast or lung cancer is also a common culprit for this condition.
If you have trouble breathing along with a dry cough you may have pneumonitis. You could also find yourself experiencing weight loss, no appetite or fatigue. Dr. John Abroon offers a lung inflammation assessment that can pinpoint a diagnosis so we can provide effective treatment.
It is important to seek treatment if you find yourself experiencing problems like this with your breathing. Untreated inflammation of the lungs can leave you with lung damage that cannot be reversed, including scarring.
What to expect at the assessment:
When you come in for your assessment, Dr. Abroon will check your lungs with a stethoscope as you inhale and exhale. Next, he may run additional tests such as a chest X-ray, CT scan or blood test. Dr. Abroon might also recommend the following tests:
- Spirometry – measures how much air you inhale, exhale, and how quickly you exhale.
- Bronchoscopy – inserting a thin tube with a light and camera into the lungs through the nose or mouth to see inside the lungs.
- Surgical lung biopsy – taking samples of lung tissue to see if there is lung disease.
Once the assessment leads to a diagnosis, Dr. Abroon can tailor a treatment plan for your lung inflammation in New York, New York. Our goal is to help you feel better and have strong, healthy lungs!